Friday, August 21, 2009

Debauchery Canyon



Wednesdays are Taco Night at the Canyon Grill near Horsetooth Resevoir in Fort Collins... at least if you're a hippie. Officially, Wednesdays are Bike Night, but most hippies don't have motorcycles. With plenty of 50 cent tacos to go around, you can see where the alternative name comes from.
Two nights ago was my first Taco Night. I had four tacos, my friend Jen had ten, that's where the debauchery began. The Canyon Grill also has $1.50 PBR on draft, and we all know how I love my PBR.
Ten beers and about one thousand wise cracks later, hunger settled back in, the tacos were wearing off. Roger, co-owner of the Canyon Grill, amused myself and the rest of the bar by throwing ice down my open shirt, only to find the same piece of ice mysteriously flew from my hand back into his drink. But still, the hunger persisted.
Solution: Rattlesnake...
I heard about the rattlesnake before I arrived in Colorado. Apparently, nestled up under a hot tub at a bed-n-breakfast is not a great abode for poisonous snakes. While walking by the hot tub one night, Jen was almost bitten. The snake was quickly dispatched and ended up in Seth's freezer, awaiting my arrival.
As the Canyon Grill wrapped up my first Taco Night, Jen, Seth, Mike and I headed up to Seth's apartment above the bar for a lesson in properly preparing rattlesnake for dinner.
I'll spare you the details. If you really want them, let me know.
The snake was pretty good, even though Seth may have over-cooked it a little. For a 2 am dinner/breakfast, whichever you prefer, I had no complaints.
The skin is currently stretching on a piece of wood, awaiting its inevitable fate as Jen's banjo strap.

No comments:

Post a Comment