Sunday, August 23, 2009

Feathered Friends





My new house in Drake holds many fascinations for me. One of the first things I noticed was the sounds, or lack there of. Compared to Chicago, Drake is rather quiet, or at least it seems so. In actuality, sounds emanate from everywhere, they are just a different kind.
Instead of sirens and screeching train wheels, I hear birds, everywhere. When I arrived, my ears picked up what I thought was a cricket. This seemed strange to me since it was daytime. I thought crickets were night sounds.
I soon realized what I heard was a hummingbird. I've been here almost two weeks now, and James Kristino (I named the hummingbird that) has not stopped his constant chirping... a relief to my ears after the big sounds of the city.
Yesterday I spent the whole day on the porch, camera ready, trying to capture an image of my new friend James. I came close, at least he's in the frame. Hopefully I can do better in the future.
Other feathered friends include noisy magpies, crows, ravens, and a whole flock of bluebirds that frequent our yards in the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment